pesan yang sedang dibaca bisa dilakukan melalui sarana pengiriman
pesan yang ada di bagian bawah.
PESAN DAN TANGGAPAN :
Master|APO|s Degree Programme ICTP / SISSA
Oleh : ICTP / SISSA
Rabu, 2 Januari 2002 (08:33 WIB) dari IP 220.127.116.11
ICTP / SISSA
JOINT MASTER|APO|S DEGREE PROGRAMME
Modeling and Simulation of Complex Realities
1 October 2002 - 30 September 2003
(first academic year of biennial programme)
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP, Trieste, Italy), and the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA, Trieste, Italy), are accepting applications for the second series of a two-year Master|APO|s Degree Programme on "Modeling and Simulation of Complex Realities". The first biennial series began in October 2001.
The scope of the Programme is to offer advanced training to graduate students with solid backgrounds in mathematics, engineering or physics in ways that will enable them to keep abreast of the latest developments in applying the tools of basic quantitative science to modeling of real-world problems. The range of possible applications will include themes arising in the industrial and organizational context, and in information technologies, health science, technologies for sustainable economy and social / environmental problems.
The subjects covered by the courses of the Master belong to emerging fields of both applied and basic interdisciplinary research and will be presented in a unifying perspective. The list of different topics include: probability theory and stochastic processes, control theory, differential equations, combinatorial and non-linear optimization, theory of algorithms, game theory and financial mathematics, fluid dynamics, geophysical modeling, and information theory and time series analysis. Short advanced courses on mathematical and numerical methods and computer science will also be given.
The plan of the Master is divided into two distinct phases:
1. A first (Diploma) year devoted to basic training, with 6/8 main courses plus some short more specific ones. Courses will be taught by lecturers from ICTP and SISSA faculties, as well as from other external institutions. The first year courses will be held at the Abdus Salam ICTP in Trieste, during the period 1 October 2002 - 30 September 2003. All students who successfully complete the examinations of the first year will be awarded with a Diploma.
2. A second year during which selected students will be involved on concrete projects in collaboration with external institutions and industries. Modeling and problem-solving of real-world problem instances will take place by direct interaction with companies and institutions where new production and organizational problems arise. Several private companies and public institutions have accepted to support and collaborate towards the success of the Master.
Only those students who have successfully completed both the examinations of the first year and (if selected) the applied project of the second year will obtain the Master|APO|s Degree.
Though the main purpose of the Master is to provide a self-contained education and a direct link with real-world production and services applications, ICTP and SISSA have settled cooperative agreements with similar on-going Ph.D. programmes in other European academic institutions, which could receive a limited number of our students after the Degree.
The Programme is open to young (generally below 28 years of age) qualified graduates. The total number of students for each year will be limited to 15.
The minimum qualification for applicants is a University degree in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or Engineering. The selection of candidates will be based on their university performance and on academic recommendations. Adequate proficiency in the English language is required.
Students who are nationals of and working in developing countries only should apply directly to ICTP for a scholarship (currently Lit.1,350,000/month) and/or travel expenses. Those interested should send:
- the official ICTP application form, duly completed & signed;
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- a list of publications, if any; and
- at least three letters of recommendation (sent separately). These documents, which must be submitted in English and reach the Secretariat by latest 28 February 2002, should be sent to the following address:
ICTP / SISSA
JOINT MASTER|APO|S DEGREE PROGRAMME
c/o The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11, 34014 TRIESTE (Italy)
(if by fax*: |PLS|39-040-224163, ATTN: Master|APO|s Programme Office)
* Please note that applications sent by fax must be followed by sending
a hard copy original by Express or Courier post.
ICTP application forms and the above information may be downloaded as ps, pdf files. Information can also be requested via e-mail to (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via ordinary mail.
A limited number of SISSA fellowships, as partial contribution to living expenses, will also be available to applicants, preference being given to those not eligible for ICTP scholarships. SISSA students admitted without a fellowship are subject to pay a participation fee.
Further information regarding SISSA requirements and applications are available from:
Student Secretariat, SISSA, via Beirut 2/4, 34014 Trieste (Italy)